Guest: Dr. Krista Hiser, Kapiʻolani Community College, University of Hawai`i System
Host: Dave Karlsgodt, Principal, Fovea, LLC
Part one of a two-part series based on a conversation with Dr. Krista Hiser, the interim sustainability curriculum coordinator for the ten campuses of the University of Hawaii system and a professor of Composition and Rhetoric at Kapiʻolani Community College.
Part 1 focuses on Krista’s work to create the S-Designation or Sustainability Designation for college courses in the University of Hawai’i system.
Part 2 picks up where we left off with a deeper dive into how we can teach sustainability concepts without devolving into green rhetoric and without falling victim to green fatigue.
- University of Hawai’i Sustainability – Website: www.hawaii.edu/sustainability
- Teaching to big questions - Blog: https://teachingtobigquestions.wordpress.com/
- The Rules of the Game: Evidence Base for the Climate Change Communications Strategy (PDF), Futerra:
- Sustainability in Higher Education: Stories and Strategies for Transformation
Barlett, Peggy F. and Chase, Geoffrey W. MIT Press, 2013
- Big Bang Being: Developing the Sustainability Mindset
Rimanoczky, Isabel. Greenleaf Publishing, Ltd, 2013
- Sustainability on Campus: Stories and Strategies for Change
Barlett, Peggy F. and Chase, Geoffrey W. MIT Press, 2004
- Dark Ecology: For a Logic of Future Coexistence
Morton, Timothy. Columbia University Press, 2016